Planning Your Wedding Flowers
Beautiful flowers will set the mood on your wedding day. Planning your wedding flowers is not difficult. We are one of Sydney’s leading wedding florists and can help you every step of the way. Here is a guide to the different elements to plan for.
1. Selecting an overall floral style for your wedding
The look and feel you want to create for your wedding will help determine the style of flowers, the colour scheme and style arrangements. What do you have in mind? Formal, elegant, vintage or modern? What type of dress have you chosen for yourself and the bridal party? Is the mood glamour, or romantic, or fun? Our wedding florists can create designs that will bring your wedding style to life. Browse our wedding style gallery for inspiration.
2. The bridal bouquet and flowers for the bridal party
Selecting the design for the bridal bouquet involves decisions about the bouquet style, colours and types of flowers. You can of course choose your favourite flowers or flowers that have special meaning to you. It’s ideal if you already know what style of wedding dress you will have, what colour and what materials. Read the articles below that introduce some popular bridal bouquet styles and browse our bridal bouquet gallery.
In addition to the bridal bouquet, you will typically want to plan for
- A bouquet for each bridesmaid – in a matching colour, or in a contrast
- A separate bouquet for the “tossing of the bouquet” at the end of the evening if you want to keep your own bridal bouquet as a memento
- Flower corsages or small bouquets for the mother of the bride and mother of the groom
- Buttonhole flowers for the groom and groomsmen
3. Wedding ceremony flowers and decorations
In planning your ceremony flowers, the first step is to approach the venue – whether it’s a church, hotel, function centre or an outdoor venue – and ask if there are any restrictions in the floral wedding decorations. To get ideas for ceremony flowers, browse our gallery.
Flowers for a church or temple can include
- Flower decorations at the entrance of the church – on stairs, around handrails or above the entrance doors
- Pew decorations
- Feature flower arrangements on the altar
- Wedding candle centrepieces on either side of the altar
- Feature flowers on pedestals at the front of the church
Flowers for an outside venue can include
4. Flowers for your wedding reception and other wedding reception decorations
- A bridal arch
- Pew decorations
- Feature flower arrangements for the spot where the ceremony will take place
The floral style for your reception can be dramatic or sophisticated or fun, just like your overall theme for the wedding. Floral decorations typically include:
- Table centrepieces that can have many different forms, including
- A bridal t
- Circular wreath arrangements arranged around candles, lanterns or glass bowls
- Candelabras with flower decorations, which can look dramatic or very elegant
- Dramatic arrangements in tall bulb or flute vases
- Arrangements of different posy vases or bud vases
- Flower petal sprinkles
- Flowers or other natural elements in your place settings
- Feature arrangements to either side of the bridal table or in other key locations in the room
- Ceiling decorations
Browse our gallery for ideas.
5. Floral wedding cake decorations
There are many ways to use flowers to create an exquisite looking wedding cake. Have a look through our wedding cake gallery on Pinterest for some ideas.
Typical styles of floral wedding cake decorations include
- Cascading flowers that trail down over the sides of the cake
- Posy toppers that can be clusters of a single flower, or variety of different flowers resting on top of the wedding cake
- Sprays of small groups of flowers that can be placed on any tier of the wedding cake
- Tiered layers of flowers, resembling a layer of cake
6. Delivery and set up
You will want the different flowers to go to where they are needed. So think through where you are getting ready, where the groom and his party is getting ready and the timing for ceremony and reception. We will then work out the delivery schedule with you, to make sure everything is there on time, looking exquisite.
7. Your budget and the cost of your wedding flowers
Costs will vary based on the exact flowers, the season, the quantities and the delivery and set up requirements. We will provide you with a detailed proposal based on your brief. Remember that we can create beautiful flowers to suit your budget.
We love weddings. Call Sandy Horton to arrange a time for a meeting on 02 9966 9890or send us an email to email@example.com.